An early morning fire in Ringgold left a mobile home unlivable and one man without a home on Wednesday.

Ringgold Volunteer Fire and Rescue Chief Mike Neal said it took about two hours for his crews to extinguish the flames. Blairs and Kentuck fire departments assisted, and two Pittsylvania County fire marshals were on the scene.

Neal said the crews arrived at 5:52 a.m. at J&D Mobile Home Park to find flames peaking out of the back windows of the mobile home, near its utility room.

The home’s owner was asleep when the fire started, but woke up and drove to a nearby gas station to call the fire department, Neal reported.

Preliminary investigations suggest the fire began due to a clogged vent or an overheated dryer as fire officials found a load of clothes smoldering in the dryer, according to Neal.

Though still upright, the mobile home has fire damage to one end and smoke damage throughout.

No injuries were reported.

Neal said the American Red Cross is working with the owner to provide emergency housing.

Breaking & daily news emails

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Halle Parker reports for the Danville Register & Bee. Contact her at hparker@registerbee.com or (434) 791-7981.

Recommended for you

Load comments