An electrical problem with a drop cord is blamed for a blaze that damaged a Danville home in the early morning hours Thursday, fire officials report.

Crews were called to 1117 Wyllie Ave. at about 1:20 a.m. Thursday, according to a news release from the Danville Fire Department. When they arrived, they found heavy smoking coming from the small one-story home.

A resident of the home met firefighters at the street and said everyone was out of the house.

It took about 16 minutes to bring the blaze under control after crews found heavy fire in the back rooms, the fire department reported. The back of the home suffered severe fire damage and smoke and heat damaged the rest of the house.

The assistant fire marshal ruled the cause as a drop cord that shorted out.

The American Red Cross is helping the resident and the Danville Area Humane Society is housing her dog for now.

There were no injuries reported.

Breaking & daily news emails

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments